Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy is “a form of treatment that uses a group of substances that temporarily alter perception and mood and may impact numerous cognitive processes.” (Source: Evidence Brief: Psychedelic Medications for Mental Health and Substance Use Disorders, Veterans Affairs).
At We Honor Veterans, we want to provide you with information and resources that can serve as a starting point for your own further research into Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy as you work for the Veterans in your care.
Organizations Studying Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy
Organizations and medical professionals are actively studying Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy. Following their research will help you stay up to date on the latest thinking and how it may or may not be integrated with your work for Veterans.
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
- American Psychedelic Practitioners Association
- Board of Psychedelic Medicine and Therapies (BPMT)
- Veterans Exploring Treatment Solutions (VETS)
Looking for more education on psychedelics?
There are online educational resources available for you to continue to learn and explore if Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy is right for you and your team.
The educational resources are:
- Psychedelic Training and Education Resource List – The Current Landscape, Feb. 2022
- Karen Cooper, RN, MA at the University of Pennsylvania has compiled a list of trainings that cover psychedelics research and therapy. Please be sure to check that a resource you investigate from this list is one that is right for you.
- VETS’ Modern Recovery: Veterans & Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy Course
- VETS’ free course offers information on how psychedelic therapy can positively impact veteran health, and how veterans seeking treatment with psychedelics can make the most of their experiences. It can help you understand current scientific research on psychedelics.
Policy Related to Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy
On November 17, 2022, Congressman Lou Correa (D-CA) and Congressman Jack Bergman (R-MI) announce the launch of the Congressional Psychedelics Advancing Clinical Treatments “PACT” Caucus. The Caucus will be focusing on addressing ways to alleviate the national mental health crisis through psychedelic science and research. You can read more about the “PACT” Caucus on Congressman Correa’s website.
Video Resources on Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy
Care organizations and news organizations are discussing psychedelics and how they can help Veterans through out their care journey, particularly when facing death.