Level Three: Develop and strengthen relationships with VA medical centers and other Veteran organizations.
To become a Level Three Partner:
- Review the following information with your hospice’s staff and volunteers:
- Complete Your Activity Report.
- Upon receipt and approval of the completed Activity Report, WHV staff will:
- Email a Level Three Certificate of Recognition
- Email a Level Three WHV logo
- Update your hospice’s level on the WHV Partner Directory.
WHV Partner Level Three may immediately begin working on Partner Level Four activities.
WHV Partner Level Three Required Activities
Staff and Volunteer Education and Programs
- Conduct a minimum of three (3) different (topics, not audiences) Veteran-specific presentations for administrative and clinical staff and volunteers within your hospice organization – different from presentations delivered for Level One and Two Activities. Educational PowerPoint presentations and additional resources can be found at Resource Library – We Honor Veterans.
- Continue to integrate Veteran-specific content into staff and volunteer orientation and education within your organization.
- Develop, implement and set up evaluation of a Veteran-to-Veteran Volunteer Program.
- Conduct veteran-specific outreach presentations in at least 1 Veteran organization venue and 1 community organization venue (rotary, chamber of commerce, churches, etc) OR 1 healthcare venue (hospitals, nursing homes, adult day health care, etc). Educational PowerPoint presentations and additional resources can be found at Resource Library – We Honor Veterans .
Organizational Policies and Procedures
- Integrate Military History Checklist process (or equivalent) into referral/intake procedures. Conduct an annual evaluation of the process.
- Continue to review Veteran-specific Practice Examples of NHPCO’s Standards of Practice for Hospice Programs with staff and volunteers within your organization.
- Using information gathered from the Military History Checklist (or equivalent), monitor and evaluate demographics of Veterans served by your organization to track trends.
- Develop, implement and evaluate procedures for assisting Veterans and families to access Veteran benefits (see Veterans Benefits PPT at www.WeHonorVeterans.org and/or online course provided by NHPCO)
VA Medical Centers and Veterans Service Organizations
- Continue ongoing relationship development with designated VA contact person and one or more Veterans service organizations. Document phone and/or in- person meetings.
Local, regional and statewide Hospice-Veteran Partnerships
- Review the Hospice-Veteran Partnership Guide
- Actively participate in local, regional or statewide Hospice-Veteran Partnership. Document meetings and other activities.