Dr. Melissa Wachterman, a practicing palliative care physician with the VA Boston Healthcare System, presents on a study exploring the difference in quality of hospice care provided to veterans in VA nursing homes compared to those receiving end of life care in community nursing homes that are paid for by the VA. Dr. Wachterman demonstrates the importance of the nursing home venue in the provision of hospice care. The use of the Bereaved Family Survey (BFS) as a source of data for comparing hospice care provision in nursing facilities is also discussed. The outcome of this study highlight the significant advantage of receiving hospice care in a VA nursing home in comparison to a community nursing home.
This webinar discusses:
- Distinction between hospice care provided in VA nursing homes and VA-paid community nursing homes
- Use of the Bereaved Family Survey (BFS) as a source of data for understanding hospice quality.
- Demonstrated advantage of receiving end of life care in a VA nursing home
- Potential contributions to disparities in data
- Recommendations for policy and practice including expansion of “We Honor Veterans” into VA-contracted community nursing homes
Does this webinar provide continuing education credits?
This webinar does not provide continuing education credits.